Inside the Capitol

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

12-24 A Visit From St. Nick

FRI, 12-24-10

"Twas the night before Christmas at the governor's abode
Boxes were strewn from room to room, ready to load.

"I wish I weren't leaving," the governor said.
"It gives the appearance I'm politically dead."

Things aren't as rosy as they were in the past
I was the man of bold vision with my foot on the gas

I gave them a spaceport, a railroad and tax cuts,
But despite all that, I'm down on my luck.

I handed out stimulus money like Santa
But now it doesn't seem to matta.

I brought films and movie stars from Hollywood,
But, at the end of the line, it has done me no good.

Four years ago, I carried every county but one.
But that was yesterday. It looks like I'm done.

Then out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
Bill sprang from his bed to see what was the matter.

And there on the crest of the new fallen snow
Was jolly St. Nicolas with a big ho, ho, ho.

"I hope you'll loan me your sleigh this year
I have many good-byes to say far and near."

"Sorry", said Santa. "I've promised it to Susana
To travel to appearances from Maine to Montana.

"She's selling your jet, so will need transportation
To see all her fans around this great nation

"But I've brought you goodies, to soften the blow.
I've heard you want to be a gentleman rancher, you know.

"Here's a deed to a big spread with horses and sheep
Along with a rifle and a pole you can keep.

"Sorry I couldn't bring the top of the line
I've promised them to the first gentleman this time.


"You see, Chuck Franco is now the top of the heap
He likes fishing and hunting so he also gets a jeep."

Then off flew Santa down the Rio Grande
To visit Susana and give her a hand.

But Bill heard him exclaim as he flew out of sight,
"Don't fret about leaving. Retirement's all right."

I'm sending this early and out of sequence in case the timing might be better for weeklies that might want to use it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home