Inside the Capitol

Saturday, May 25, 2013

try, try, again

HEADS UP

Dear friends, I t has been great working with you the past 26 years. Jeanette says I won't know what to do with myself without the column but we are needing to move to the Scottsdale area, preferably before the next snow fall in Santa Fe.

I don't know exactly when all this can happen. Selling and buying houses takes a while and Jeanette is recovering slowly from a serious foot injury. I'll let you know more when we know more. Meanwhile I will continue writing for a little longer.

 I began this column June 1987, buying it from Fred McCaffrey for $20,000. Much has happened since then with 24-hour news channels and the blogosphere successfully c competing for attention. Several of my original subscribers no longer are with us.

 

Several of you have been with us for the entire 26 years. Those include Bob Trapp in Espanola, the Ely family in Silver City, The Roswell Daily News and the Lincoln County News.  Thanks to all of you.

 

Will Harrison started Inside the Capitol in the early 1950s. Since Will, it has been written by Charlie Cullen, Fred Buckles, Bob Huber, Carroll Cagle and Fred McCaffrey.  Mine was the longest tenure, which may be another good reason for my stopping at 75.

 

This business has never been a gold mine but it is even less so now. I don't imaging anyone will be willing to pay much for the honor of following in the footsteps of some of the great New Mexico columnists.  I can say that it has been a wonderful way to keep my finger in the political scene and not be a pest around the house.

 

More later,  Jay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home