Inside the Capitol

Sunday, September 01, 2013

Ned Cantwell wrap-up

COLUMN THAT GOT ME IN MOST TROUBLE

To continue with Ned Cantwell's questions, the column that got me in the most trouble came early in my career. The legislature was considering a bill to require everyone to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Bikers immediately began to protest.

I wrote that I agreed they should have the right to do as they want but they also had the responsibility to take care of their medical expenses either personally or through insurance and not expect the government to pick up the tab as it often was doing.

I received some very strong disagreement from bikers. So I wrote that I was surprised about receiving any reaction and wondered who the bikers found to read my column to them.

That, of course, only escalated matters. It was a learning experience about not belittling any group. My wife made me promise to let her read my columns before sending them.


MOST EMBARRASING GOOF
One election season early in my career I remarked abput how quickly the negative campaigning had started. I noted that I had heard two ladies leaving church commenting that their local legislator had been picked up for drunken driving.

The story seemed so outlandish to me that I guess I assumed it needed no explaining that the gossip was totally false.

It did need explaining. The lawmaker was hurt. I was totally embarrassed and learned never to assume that anything "goes without saying."


WHAT WOULD I TELL A UNIVERSITY JOURNALISM STUDENT LOOKING TO A CAREER IN THE BUSINESS?

Ask for directions to the engineering department. There are many joys in journalism. You often are where the action is. Press passes get you to the front of the line. Your co-workers are often stimulating.

But for your future happiness, do a little research. CareerCast.com, a national job rating company, recently placed newspaper reporter at the absolute bottom of 200 jobs.

Newspaper reporting rated low in work environment, pay and stress. Hiring outlook was a negative number as newspapers are cutting back staff.

But some people, especially in my age range, still love to spread a newspaper in front of them and turn the pages. And they need newspaper reporters. So if the job turns you on, work hard and make As.



ONCE RESEARCH IS COMPLETED, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE YOU TO WRITE A COLUMN?

Research? Research? Who said anything about research? I make the stuff up.


WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE COLUMNIST?

Since Mike Royko of the Chicago Tribune died, it is Ned Cantwell. Oh, I know you think I'm making that up too. But those are two people whose columns I am always eager to read. Royko created an alter ego, Slats Grobnik to help illustrate points he was making. Cantwell has phone conversations with a similar character who creates much fun.

I also like the well thought out columns of Sherry Robinson, a New Mexico writer.

That will wrap it up, Ned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home